Pages

Monday 8 December 2014

Kitchen apron from old dress

Hello there,

My newest creation - A kitchen apron from my old dress.

I needed a kitchen apron and definitely did not intend to buy one from the stores. Every time I held one in my hand and saw the price on it, I would think - why should I shell out so much for this small piece of cloth? When I was clearing out my cupboard, I found this dress which had yellow stains on sleeves and front. It was as good as not usable. So this is what I converted it into...
 
From this...                                                                       ......To this

The first thing I did was to cut off the collar, sleeves and the front portion.I had an advantage that it had long sleeves which could be used to make the belt for tying.I used the back portion of the dress to make my apron as it was clean, spotless and also had no buttons.
Sleeves gone!

Front and back still joined together due to the collar

After getting rid of all unwanted portions of the dress.
A closer view of the neck after trimming into shape.
I then stitched the entire border covering it up with a blue ribbon.


It looked brand new after this:-)
I cut the sleeves into three long strips and joined them together to make one ribbon long enough to go around my waist with extra to tie up.
 Stitched the entire border to make it look nice and neat.

I also used the end part of the sleeve and the buttons to make the top part of the apron. Just added two more buttons to vary the size as required. Everything else came ready-made with the dress!
It was important to cover the elastic on the waist. So my belt was wide enough to cover it up properly. My apron is all done. But it looked very plain. So here comes the decoration bit...

Two hearts one inside the other drawn and then embroidered with lovely red. I also embroidered an apple, a banana and a strawberry on the belt.
The end result looked something like this after a good wash and iron to erase all the pen marks...


No comments:

Post a Comment