Pages

Wednesday 10 December 2014

Key Holder

What would you do if your wooden towel stand came apart and all you are left with are the two end parts of the stand? Well when I faced this question, I just kept them in a corner for few days. They then started troubling me because my young son would play with them and throw them here and there. So I just hung them on the wall. They stayed there for a few more days.In the meantime, I had problems keeping my keys and every time I saw this frame hung on the wall, I thought, how can I use this.
One end of the stand.
One day I took the frame down and sat staring at it for a long time. I felt that the wood was soft, soft enough to press pins into it by hand.So I took some drawing pins and pushed them in on the inner side of the frame. It went in quite easily. Then I took the box of pins and started pushing one pin after the other into the soft wood. Seriously I did not count them, I just tried to keep a constant distance between them. This is the problem with me! I work on instincts. Some were quite difficult to push, but ultimately I had completed and it did look beautiful.

The next part was the most difficult. I had to pull the thread through these pins without getting the pins out. Not too tight and not too loose. Also the string did not stay in place many times.

The pattern I used to make design:

 I counted the pins into two sections and found the mid point. Then tied knot on the first pin, pulled the string all the way around the middle pin and back to the pin next to the first. Then to the second pin on to the right of the middle pin and back to the third pin from where I began and so on till I reached the last pin. At the end I saw a beautiful pattern. 
Make sure the thread is securely in place and does not slip out of the pin. The tension on the strings should be equal everywhere otherwise the pattern will not look good.
I used the same technique for the bottom part with six on each side and eleven pins the bottom line.
At last when all was done, I fixed some store bought hooks to the frame to hang the keys.
I loved the end result. Nobody could say it was home made.


1 comment:

  1. Amazing sculpture and a good way of recycling unwanted material turning them into useful and functional objects. This a therapeutic process that can fall into the category of art therapy as well.

    ReplyDelete